We're all friends here.

Have a blog or website devoted to backyard or urban farming, sustainable living, gardening, or just something cool that you think would fit in with what we're trying to do? Drop us a line or leave a comment. We'd love to add a link to your site!

Saturday, December 8, 2012

Building a Barn or a shed

Alright not quite a barn.  I decided when we were first talking about getting some chickens that I might need an outside space to store chicken stuff, ie feed, grit, oystershells, bedding, ect ect.  So back in May 2012 I started planning on added a small lean too shed to the back our main shed.

I've been pretty lucky finding a great free source of quality non treated wood to build with.  It just takes a little time to clean the boards and pull out staples and you have a nice 1x4 piece of pine of varying lengths.

Anyways I had worked up my design, which sadly I've disposed of and decided on a one large door side and a two door multilevel side.



Started off building the base and side walls. I wasn't too concerened about gaps. I just wanted a water tight, sturdy shed.

Next I added the front frame.  See I've got my big door side and two smaller door side.

Here's a straight on shot of the front.  And my trusty Dewalt 18v cordless. One of the best investments I've ever made.

Next I added the floors and shelf

Then slowly added the outside planking for the walls.
Next I added the frame from the roof.  You can see by this time I've moved my composters too. We ended up putting the chicken coop where the composters were.  We have since moved them since they were in the utility right of way and the power company was snooping around.  But that's another post.


Next I added some old fiberglass roofing I had laying around from when I built the greenhouse and added the first door.
Here's a look at the door construction.
Here's a look at the completed project. Taken just a few minutes ago.
And inside. Room for a bucket of feed, oyster shell, grit and some bedding.

The best part about this shed is that almost everything was repurposed.  Except for the screws and the door latches everything was pretty much free or really cheap, not counting the gas it took to pick stuff up or the time it took to tear apart all those window crates. I got all the hinges from the Habitat for Humanity Restore in town.

2 comments:

  1. This honestly looks like its going to come out great! Good luck on your project!

    -Keystone Contracting Corp.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you used salvaged wood and other materials to build the shed. Nice design as well, with shelves on one side and storage for tall and large items on the other.

    ReplyDelete